Saturday, March 5, 2011

Asparagus, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad

Asparagus, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad

Time: 15 min
Serves: 6-8
From: Food Network

Ingredients:
1 bunch pencil asparagus, tough bottom stems removed
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 cup coarsely grated aged pecorino
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt

Directions:
Cut the asparagus, including the tips into very thin slices, crosswise and place in a medium bowl. Add the red onion and pecorino and toss to combine. Dress with the vinegar, olive oil and salt and toss again. This salad should be fairly heavily dressed. The vinegar will sort of "cook" or tenderize the asparagus.

It is best to do this about an hour or so in advance to let the flavors "marry".

Notes: I made this for two different family get-togethers and everyone loved it. Who knew raw asparagus could be so flavorful and crunchy. This recipe is so easy and simple. The first time I made it, I thought it was yummy but a little on the strong side for onion and vinegar. The second time I made it, I halved the onion, chopped it smaller, used a little less than 1/2 cup for the vinegar, and added more cheese. I have also made it with thick asparagus and it tasted the same. I just made sure to slice it super super thin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment