Thursday, March 11, 2010

Oat Topped Sweet Potato Crisp

Okay, seriously! If you never try anything from this cooking blog, you have to try this for your next fall family gathering. It is one of my favorite side dishes at Thanksgiving and has been requested now every Thanksgiving, since I made it first. I have even turned non-sweet potato eaters into believers. It is more like a dessert than anything it is so yummy and simple.

Oat Topped Sweet Potato Crisp


Time: 20 prep, 40-60 min cooking

Servings: 6-8
From: Kraft Foods.com

Ingredients:
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened 

1 can (40 oz.) cut sweet potatoes, drained 

3/4 C. firmly packed brown sugar, divided 

1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon 

1 C. chopped apple
2/3 C. chopped cranberries or craisins

1/2 C. flour 

1/2 C. old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats, uncooked 

1/3 C. cold butter or margarine 

1/4 C. chopped pecans, optional

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat cream cheese, sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup of the sugar and cinnamon with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Spoon into 1-1/2-qt. casserole dish; top with apples and cranberries. Mix flour, oats and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over fruit mixture. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through.

Notes: 
I do 1-1/2 the topping, so I almost double it. I also have tried white raisins and nuts but I like craisins and no nuts better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment