Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pink Pancakes


Pink Pancakes
From: Tracy (taken from Deceptively Delicious cookbook)
Serves: 4 little kids

Ingredients: (I double recipe to feed our family)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup beet puree
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup pancake mix
1/4 cup grated apple
Syrup or fruit perserve

Beet Puree
1 bunch of beets
Water

Directions for Puree:
All you do is steam the beets until they are quite soft--I washed but didn't peel them and then when they are done steaming (a fork goes in and out easily), I let them cool and the peel came right off. Then I cut them into chunks and put them in the blender with a little water. You just keep pulsing the blender and adding water little by little until you have the consistency of thick applesauce. Measure them into whatever unit you want (I used a half cup) and put them in the freezer. Then they are ready for whatever recipe you want or for more pink pancakes! 

Directions for Pancakes:
In a blender of food processor, combine the water, ricotta cheese, beet puree, vanilla and cinnamon and blend. Dump the mixture into a medium bowl, add the pancake mix and apple, stir until just combined. Do not overmix- the batter will be a little lumpy. 

Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. Spoon the batter for each pancake. Cook the pancakes until bubbles form on top and the batter is set, couple of minutes. Then flip the pancakes with a spatula and cook until golden brown on the other side 2-3 minutes. Serve warm, with syrup or fruit. 

*Picture from The Art Of Being Green











No comments:

Post a Comment